When a late night craving strikes for cookies, try these quick, healthy, and simple treats. These aren't crispy, they taste look a warm bowl of oatmeal in cookie-form. Add in dark chocolate chips and that satisfy that chocolate sweet tooth, too.
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop out on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Gently squish cookies down to a flat round (they won't spread on the pan).
- Cool on sheet. Try not to burn your fingers eating one too quickly.
The extra flour and baking powder will give the cookies a little more bulk and volume. Try it if you don't like the wetter, moister version without it. You can customize with different add-ins or even fruit (try pumpkin puree instead of applesauce). The maple syrup can be swapped out for honey or the sweetener of your choice, I just found the applesauce a little too bland on its own.