April 2nd, 2020
As we enter week three of shelter-in-place and the new normal, I’m going to keep reading, writing, and publishing this newsletter to help at least myself maintain some degree of normalcy and routine. Amid all the terrifying news and constant uncertainty, I think it’s important to have an anchor or two you can rely on to provide stability.
It’s Thursday, let’s get to it, here’s the most crime fiction news per word on the web.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- Crime Reads has 8 novels where things disappear. I love this niche nooks of the mystery genre. Others that come to mind: mysteries set in bookstores, time-travel mysteries, impossible heists.
- Have you checked out the Apple TV trailer for the adaptation of William Landay’s DEFENDING JACOB?. Not sure enjoy is the right word but years later I still vise viscerally remember this book.
- You’ve probably forgotten but 1990 was an insanely good year for crime movies that will likely not be repeated. If you’re looking for something to watch beyond Tiger King, try any of those films.
Quotes from sidekicks this week:
- “I will ride my luck on occasion, but I like to pick the occasion.” ― Archie Goodwin, Might as Well Be Dead
- “You remind me of Edgar Allan Poe’s Dupin. I had no idea that such individuals did exist out of stories.”― Dr. Watson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet
- Finished reading Luna’s TWO GIRLS DOWN and really enjoyed the Vega/Caplan pairing. Who is your favorite new (new to you is fine) detective duo?
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series