February 24th, 2022
If the Russian-Ukranine conflict has you back to doomscrolling, maybe this letter from E.B. White will give you some hope.
‘Man’s curiosity, his relentlessness, his inventiveness, his ingenuity have led him into deep trouble. We can only hope that these same traits will enable him to claw his way out.
Hang on to your hat. Hang on to your hope. And wind the clock, for tomorrow is another day.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- BookRiot highlights the 2022 mystery and thrillers to check out. Just added THE NIGHT SHIFT and the latest Simone St. James to my TBR list for March. I love scrolling through these lists. Reminds me of going through the Sears toy catalog as a child.
- The NYTs talks to Lisa Gardener about favorite books, influential books, favorites no one has heard of, and best gift books.
- Not exactly the actor (or screenwriter) I would immediately peg for a new Parker adaptation but maybe it will work. The typical names haven’t really produced anything on screen to live up to the books (save for Lee Marvin’s take perhaps).
Quotes from Donald Westlake’s Parker this week:
- “Nobody gets everything in this life. You decide your priorities and you make your choices. I’d decided long ago that any cake I had would be eaten.”
- “If you leave me here,” the guy on the floor said, “he’ll kill me tomorrow morning.” Parker looked at him. “So you’ve still got tonight,” he said.”
- Have you read any of Westlake’s Parker books? Watched any of the many different movie takes on the character? Can you pick a favorite?
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series