January 13th, 2022
How are those goals and resolutions going? Sticking with it? Struggling?
My trick? Just commit to 5 minutes. Just promise yourself you’ll give it a go for five minutes. You can do anything for 5 minutes and everything gets easier when you are in the middle of it.
But you need to get over that hurdle of starting.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- The Guardian’s thriller roundup looks at the sophmore effort of Hallet (this time told with audio snippets and not emails), the return of Rilke, the cozy THE MAID, plus more. Always enjoy reading the European sites because they often bring up books and authors I never hear about in the States.
- Book Riot picks the top 10 Poe books (not poems). I might reorder the top 5 slightly but it’s sort of like arguing over pizza toppings. It’s all good.
- For the Guardian’s top 10, Alafair Burke picks her top books about amnesia. Nice list that starts off with some traditional thrillers but get more eclectic and interesting.
Quotes from Edgar Allan Poe this week:
- “Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.”
- “Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.”
- Do you prefer Poe’s poems or stories? I’ve always been a little more partial to his macabre poems though I think his sense of humor in underrated in his stories.
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series