January 20th, 2022
The metaphor of a road to success is a good one. There is a road to being a successful writer, or teacher, or entrepreneur, or executive, or parent. The road to finishing this task or that project.
And how do you travel any road? You travel a road in steps. A certain number of miles or hours per day. No matter how you feel.
I’m at a tricky part in the latest book and the resistance to sitting down to write is high. I do it anyway even if I only scratch out a few words. I might not get a lot closer, but I get a little closer. And a little adds up over time.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- Did not see this news about a Heat 2 novelization coming, but couldn’t be happier. A little worried as it appears to cover a lot of time and a lot of characters for one book.
- If you missed this news last week, Raylan Givens is coming back to TV. FX will adapt Leonard’s City Primeval for a limited series. The only question is can they work Boyd into the story somehow?
- The Seattle Times readers recommend streaming book-to-screen detectives worth checking out. Other than Bosch, these mostly fall on the genteel side of the spectrum.
Quotes from Mann’s Heat this week:
- “I Do What I Do Best; I Take Scores. You Do What You Do Best; Try To Stop Guys Like Me.”
- “Brother, You Are Going Down.”
- What is your favorite heist film? I might make a distinction between gritty and fun here. I love Logan Lucky and Ocean’s Eleven style heist films. On the grittier side, Heat and Reservoir Dogs would be high on my list.
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series