June 10th, 2021
In both writing a novel and an author’s career, or any career really, patience is an often overlooked asset. Big bestsellers or get rich quick schemes make the news but in a lot of fields, if you just keep plugging away at the reasonable expectations longer than anyone else you will find your own success.
That’s been my mantra marching through the new book or anytime I feel like my sales have stalled out. Just keep going.
Okay, let’s get to it.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- PW has a mini-profile of 84 year old James Lee Burke ahead of the publications of his 41st novel (with at least another in the can already) ANOTHER KIND OF EDEN, the 11th in his time hopping Holland series.
- The WaPo with… a bemused review of THE PRESIDENT’S DAUGHTER finding the second Patterson/Clinton thriller “as startling as the shift from tan to beige.”
- Stephen King talks to the Irish Times about LISEY, stalkers, near death experiences, and pizza cutters.
Two quotes from Burke’s Robicheeaux:
- “Coincidence is your Higher Power acting with anonymity.”
- “Mortality is not kind, and do not let anyone tell you it is.”
- Do you have a favorite Robicheaux or other James Lee Burke book? My favorite is probably NEON RAIN or ELECTRIC MIST.
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series