It’s officially summer, as my kids are fond of telling me, I hope you have a beach bag packed and a book (or two, or three) ready to go. No books packed? I’ve got some ideas then. Keep reading.
Let’s get right to it this week.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- DREAM GIRL is high on my summer beach TBR list, so I was happy to read this USAT review that finds Lippman nailed this psychological standalone.
- The NYTs highlights 14 news books to look forward to next month, including some genre picks like a techno-thriller, a Victorian-age true crime tale, and Cosby’s follow-up to WASTELAND (my top pick for July!)
- BuzzFeed calls out new paperbacks dropping this month including a whole bunch of genre books I’d love to stuff into my beach bag or vacation suitcase.
Two quotes from Laura Lippman this week:
- “Anyone can love a perfect place. Loving Baltimore takes some resilience.”
- “I like books steeped in the quotidian – details about work and place. You can learn how to run a chicken-and-waffle restaurant by reading ‘Mildred Pierce.’ And I like fiction about money.”
- I think Lippman’s crime fiction is underrated. Her career seemed poised to take off in the early 2000s but didn’t quite catch. Who is your favorite under the radar crime writer?
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series