September 10th, 2020
Found myself dwelling on a recent one-star review. Never mind the 30 other positive reviews for the book. You always end up fixated on the one person who criticized you.
Here are 3 crime fiction links, 2 quotes, and 1 question for this week:
- In case the news slipped by you over the weekend, especially in the US with the holiday, the upcoming Amazon adaptation of Child’s Jack Reacher series has found its leading man. There definitely won’t be any arguing over whether he hits the physical specs. I actually really enjoyed the first Reacher movie with Cruise but the second was sort of a mess.
- ARuth Ware’s latest, a riff on Christie’s AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, is garnering very good reviews. The sort of locked-room or cottage mystery seems be having a bit of a moment with Foley, Ware and others this fall tackling the classic golden age setup.
- For a crime fiction fan, this big fall book preview at Crime Reads is the equivalent of flipping through the old Sears catalog and making your Christmas wish list.
Two quotes from Child’s Jack Reacher this week:
- “No, I’m a man with a rule. People leave me alone, I leave them alone. If they don’t, I don’t.”
- “I don’t care about the little guy. I just hate the big guy. I hate big smug people who think they can get away with things.”
- I’m keenly interested to see how this latest Reacher book, now a collaboration between brothers, comes out. Should Lee Child have chosen to end his series? What is your favorite Reacher book? I’m partial to his debut in KILLING FLOOR but also like the ones that bring back some of his Army past like BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE.
Until next Thursday, happy reading,
Author the Max Strong thriller series